Hello there.  My adventures in training continue as we prepare for the September Big Dam Bridge 100.  This week’s episode is a bit short, as I had a minor setback.  But I must start off by saying that incidents on the open road are sadly unavoidable.  If you spend any time on two wheels you will inevitably crash.

So, it happened like this.  Neils and I were cycling between the Big Dam Bridge and the Two Rivers Park area, when I encountered a chain jam that left me completely vulnerable to the laws of physics.  Off I went, tumbling into the undergrowth like some sort of weed whacker with my legs propelling wildly in the air.  I bounced up and down a couple of times and finally came to a complete halt.

I laid there for a second.  My tongue did a quick sweep.  Okay, good—all teeth are intact.  Then I started to move my extremities.   Nothing was obviously broken. Check.  I repositioned myself a bit more, and everything seemed to be in working order. Thank you mother. Then I silently applauded myself for being the model of bicycle safety– I always wear protection.  Like they say, riding your bike without a helmet is a beacon of hope for those in need of new organs.

Neils laughed. A lot. Then I laughed. It was quite funny.

I gathered myself together at this point, feeling rather lucky that I was left unscathed by this unfortunate event.  It was then that I could clearly see that my Ye Old Bike needed a bit of medical attention.  He laid there, wounded, like some sort of stricken roadkill.   Acting decisively, I whipped out my dodgy finger and began to resuscitate, prying the jammed chain until it was loose. It was a success…or at least a temporary fix until I could take him in to see a specialist.

Then I decided that when situations like this occur, it is always a good idea to offer oneself a reward.  I’m sure this comes as a shock to you, but for me this always equates to ice cream.  So off we went, cycling down to my favorite spot for a nice refreshing pick-me-up.   However, there was one small issue.  It was Sunday morning at 10:30 am, which meant that we would have to wait 2 very long hours until the shop opened.  So, after putting my problem-solving skills to good use, we headed off to the shiny golden arches of hope, the ever-open land of the Fast and McFlurryous. I got my fix, with some nice hot caramel sauce that made it quite delightful.

That’s it for now.  More training updates next week, when my bike is working order. I will need to work my mcbutt off this week to catch up.

Cheers!

I'm lovin it