Last summer (2015) we shared with our readers a heartwarming story about Bailey McNeill, 17 years old at the time, from Raleigh, North Carolina. McNeill had created a web-based business, Crystals4Cancer.com, to sell her hand-crafted jewelry featuring crystals from the North Carolina mountains. Fueled by a desire to help cure myeloma, McNeill has been donating half of the proceeds from her sales to support research at the Myeloma Institute. “Though my contribution is small, I hope that my business is helping the program that has done so much to help my family and me; it’s the least I can do,” she said.

Before McNeill left home this fall for the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, Christer Berg, a local photographer doing a series on people making a difference in the area, captured this image of her at the entrance to Randall Glen, the gem mine where she finds crystals. We know that McNeill is indeed making a difference and that she has tremendous strength of spirit and generosity. Berg definitely found a gem in McNeill.